Try this southern twist on a favorite holiday dressing!
You can find more delicious recipes in my Food For Life cookbook.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter or unrefined coconut oil, plus more for the baking dish
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 8 oz ground turkey (not extra lean)
- 2 tsp Soulful Seasoning Salt
- 3 tsp Sassy Seasoning Spice Blend
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Spicy Pepper Blend
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 1 Skillet Cornbread (recipe follows) or cornbread made from a mix, preferably a day or two old
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2.5 cups good quality store-bought broth
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turkey and Soulful Seasoning Salt and cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon as it cooks, until cooked through with no pink spots remaining, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the Sassy Seasoning Spice Blend, paprika, and Spicy Pepper Blend and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the thyme and sage and remove from the heat
- In a large bowl, break the cornbread into small chunks (some pieces will crumble, which is okay)
- Stir in the onion-turkey mixture, then add the eggs and stir them in well
- Stir in enough broth to make the mixture moist enough to hold its shape when pressed, but not so much that it becomes runny.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 35 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 20 minutes more, or until the top is fully set and nicely browned.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- 1.5 cups medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 cup rice flour (or cup-for-cup replacement gluten-free flour blend, such as Steve’s GF Cake Flour)
- 1 tbsp golden flax meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- .5 tsp Soulful Seasoning Salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- .25 cup honey
- .5 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and position an oven rack in the middle position.
- Put a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes to heat it up.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the corn flour, rice flour, baking powder, baking soda, and Soulful Seasoning Salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then whisk in the buttermilk and honey.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk just until blended.
- Immediately remove the pan from the oven and add the butter, swirling the pan until the butter is melted.
- Pour all but 1 tablespoon of the butter into the cornmeal mixture (leave the remaining butter to grease the pan) and gently whisk it in.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the edges and sides start to brown, the top begins to crack, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then serve straight from the pan or turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Make simple, delicious, and healthy meals with Laila Ali Spice Blends
Inspired by my original Super Sassy Seasoning Blend in Food for Life, my spices are nutritious and sourced from the highest quality ingredients.
Try on veggies, meats, seafood, sauces, marinades or any meal that calls for robust, savory flavor and soul!