Home Chef Laila Ali teaches a delicious twist on brussels sprouts to the Rukavina family on Episode 2 of Home Made Simple on OWN!
More of Laila’s great recipes can be found her in her NEW cookbook Food For Life, which is available for pre-sale at Barnes and Noble! http://bit.ly/BNFoodForLife
Serves: 6-8 people
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
2 pounds brussels sprouts, halved and ends trimmed
1/3 cup light olive oil
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
4 cloves garlic
1 small shallot or ½ small yellow onion
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1. Add water to a large saucepan and bring to a rapid boil.
2. Add brussels sprouts to water and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
3. While the brussels cook, prepare the dressing. Combine all ingredients (olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, shallot, sea salt, pepper and basil) in a small processor or blender. Blend until fully blended/emulsified. About 1 minute.
4. Drain the brussels and rinse with cold water to prevent from cooking further.
5. Add brussels to lemon basil dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed.