These wings are everything you want and need in good fried chicken, minus the deep fryer! They go into the oven, where they bake to crispy, falling-off-the-bone perfection. Go ahead and give both the chicken and the pan a generous spray with the oil before you pop it into the oven; getting a crispy texture and flavor depends on it.
Don’t worry—I’ve swapped out refined vegetable oil for heart-healthy extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil, so you can trade out your guilt for pure delight with each juicy, crunchy bite. The dish is quick to put together—just season, give your wings a shake in some flour, spray, and bake until they’re nicely browned all over. Wings are my favorite part of the chicken, but there’s no reason you couldn’t “fry” drumsticks, thighs, breasts, or tenders in the same way. And once you make these wings a time or two, you may be inspired to season your “fried” chicken using your own signature spice mix!
OVEN “FRIED” CHICKEN WINGS
- 2 tsp Soulful Seasoning Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 3/4 tsp Ground thyme
- 12 Chicken Wings wing tips trimmed, cut in half at the joint (or left whole it you'd like)
- 3/4 cup Whole wheat flour
- Extra virgin olive oil or unrefined coconut oil cooking spray
- Lemon wedges and/or sriracha or another hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a bakingsheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine ¾ teaspoon of the salt, ½ teaspoon of the pepper, the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and thyme.
- Place the wings in a large bowl, put on a pair of disposable gloves (or wash your hands really well), and massage the rub into the chicken. Make sure you coat them well so every bite will be bursting with flavor.
- Place the flour in a large zip-top bag or paper bag and shake in the remaining ½teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Seal and shake to work the salt and pepper in to the flour. Open the bag, add the seasoned wings to the flour, seal the bag again, and shake to coat the wings evenly.
- Generously coat the prepared pan with cooking spray—the equivalent of about 1½ tablespoons. Put the wings on the pan in a single layer with a little space between each. Generously coat the tops of the wings with cooking spray, the equivalent of 1½tablespoons or so.
- Bake until nicely browned and crisp (note that you do not need to flip the wings), 45 to 55 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing and sriracha, if you like.
Soulful Seasoning Salt
My Soulful Seasoning Salt is an all-in-one blend of organic herbs, spices and sea salt to excite your taste buds and add flavor and soul to any dish!
Try on veggies, meats, seafood, sauces, marinades or any meal that calls for robust, savory flavor!