Sometimes I come up with recipes just by using leftovers. This is one of them!
It’s a great way to enjoy the remains of last night’s barbecue or roast.
Just shred the meat, put it in the refrigerator, and you’re halfway to breakfast.
Or poach some chicken, shred it all, and store in the freezer as a super-fast source of protein.
My kids LOVE this one and it’s included in my “Food For Life” cookbook.
Chicken and Egg Breakfast Tacos
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Pinch ground turmeric
- Sea salt
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup Roasted Tomato Salsa or good-quality store-bought tomato salsa, plus more for topping
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6-8 corn tortillas, warmed
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and foamy. Add the turmeric and ½ teaspoon salt and beat again. Stir in the chicken and corn.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When it starts to sizzle, add the egg and chicken mixture. Cook for about 30 seconds, until the eggs begin to set. Then, using a heat-proof spatula, gently fold the eggs and continue to fold until the eggs are set.
- Stir in the spinach for about 45 seconds, until wilted, then add the salsa and cook, stirring, for a few seconds to warm it up. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Stuff into the tortillas, top each with a little salsa, if you like, and serve.
I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does.
And soon, my new Spice Blends will make preparing this dish even easier!